Improving the use of antibiotics in healthcare to protect patients and reduce the threat of antibiotic resistance is a national priority. Antibiotic stewardship refers to a set of commitments and actions designed to “optimize the treatment of infections while reducing the adverse events associated with antibiotic use.” The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all acute care hospitals implement an antibiotic stewardship program (ASP) and outlined the seven core elements which are necessary for implementing successful ASPs. CDC also recommends that all nursing homes take steps to improve antibiotic prescribing practices and reduce inappropriate use.
Antibiotics are among the most frequently prescribed medications in nursing homes, with up to 70% of residents in a nursing home receiving one or more courses of systemic antibiotics when followed over a year. Similar to the findings in hospitals, studies have shown that 40–75% of antibiotics prescribed in nursing homes may be unnecessary or inappropriate. Harms from antibiotic overuse are significant for the frail and older adults receiving care in nursing homes. These harms include risk of serious diarrheal infections from Clostridium difficile, increased adverse drug events and drug interactions, and colonization and/or infection with antibiotic- resistant organisms.
NADONA and Ocean Spray have partnered together to recognize both the best of the best in regard to Antibiotic Stewardship leaders and also a facility Antibiotic Stewardship Program. The most significant public health threat facing us right now in regard to infectious diseases is Antibiotic Resistance, and together, we can win this war against superbugs.
- All applications must be completed in their Partial submissions will not be accepted.
- All applications must be completed and submitted to NADONA no later than September 4, 2020.
- Applications must be signed by the facility Administrator, Medical Director, Director of Nursing, and Infection Preventionist.
- Applications must be submitted using the included application.
- Documentation to substantiate your application must be included with your submission.
- Awards will be given to 1) The Best Overall National Antibiotic Stewardship Champion (Individual Award) and 2) The Best Overall National Antibiotic Stewardship Program (Facility Award).
- Applications will be reviewed by NADONA experts, and one winner in each category will be awarded.
- Submit completed applications to email@example.com. Please include your contact information with all submissions. Applicants will be notified by May 25, 2018.